Every month, we spotlight five helpful resources for you as you seek to walk closely with the Lord and make disciples and grow a healthy church. Many of these resources are meant to help meet the ministry needs of pastors and lay leaders across the state. Check out December's roundup of resources!
1. Dr. Marvin McMickle is one of the most brilliant theological minds in our lifetime. Having earned a Master of Divinity degree from Union Theological Seminary in New York City, a Doctor of Ministry degree from Princeton Theological Seminary and the Doctor of Philosophy degree (Ph.D.) from Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio, Dr. McMickle served as the 12th President of Colgate Rochester Crozer Divinity School in Rochester, New York fromJuly 1, 2011 to June 30, 2019. Dr. McMickle has been a featured instructor, speaker and preacher at the Sunday School Publishing Board’s Annual conference. In this book, Dr. McMickle contends that In order to be effective, a sermon needs to address the hearers at three distinct levels; the head or the intellect, the heart or passion and conviction, and the hand or an expected and desired response. The sermonic claim is the way in which the sermon engages the listener at all three levels. Check it out.
2. This conversation, although from 2014, is relevant for preachers today. Take a listen to these preachers from The Front Porch give insightful suggestions on sermonic etiquette and appropriateness in the pulpit. Watch here
3. Growing healthy churches involves the work of the Spirit, but also demands a critical revisioning of how the pastor, leaders and members work together. If you need a relatable and relevantguide for growing a healthy church, check out this one from Carey Nieuwhof.
4. Compiled by Dr. John Adolph, The HIM Book, is a Christological anthology whose sole purpose is to take the titles of Jesus Christ ascribed to Him in the Scriptures and have the most phenomenal pastors of our age share “Him” with the world-and celebrate Him with great hymns that move the human heart with His redemptive love expressed at Calvary. In short, this book is where the sermon and the song meet at the foot of the Cross.
5. Enjoy a conversation with President Buckley and Dr. Howard John Wesley on the subject of “The Revitalization ofthe Black Church and Social Justice.” This conversation is a part of the Two Rivers Gala of Tougaloo College and begins at minute marker 35:00. Watch here